Intro Internet Technologies
As you know, security is one of the primary concerns of everyone who relies on the Internet or on networked systems in general.
How do you safeguard your network?
It is vital for Internet professionals to know computer network security methods and be diligent in implementing and using them.
This module discusses the need for security and various security threats to the client, the server, and the client-server connection.
You will also learn the differences between a security policy and a security plan.
Then, you will find out about security services such as access control and encryption.
Rounding it out, you will learn the nature of various suspicious activities and how you can counteract them.
Need for Security
No matter how large or small your company is, you need to have a plan to ensure the security of your information assets.
Such a plan is called a security program
by information security professionals.
Whether yours is seven or 203 pages long, the process of creating a security program will make you think about the security of your organization.
A security program
provides the framework for keeping your company at a desired security level by
- assessing the risks you face,
- deciding how you will mitigate them, and
- planning for how you keep the program and your security practices up to date.
Value of Company Data
The key asset that a security program helps to protect is your data and the value of your business is in its data.
You already know this if your company is one of many whose data management is dictated by governmental and other regulations.
For example, how you manage customer credit card data. If your data management practices are not already covered by regulations, consider the value of the following:
- Product information, including
- designs, plans,
- patent applications,
- source code, and drawings
- Financial information,
including market assessments and the financial records of your company.
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Explain the need for security
- Identify the characteristics of a good security plan
- Explain the basic methods used to keep connections to the Internet secure
- Describe the differences between the security needs for the Internet, intranets, and extranets
- Describe the various types of attacks that an Internet server is vulnerable to
Describe the various types of technologies to counteract server attacks
In the next lesson, you will learn about the need for network security.