|Lesson 7||Using plug-ins |
|Objective||Describe the purpose of various plug-ins. |
Using Browser Plug-ins
Plug-ins are helper applications that increase browser functionality.
They enable the browser to present animation, sound, or video. Some plug-ins are included with new releases of the browsers.
You will learn more about common plug-ins in the following SlideShow.
Common Plug Ins
Advantages and disadvantages of using plug-ins
Plug-ins let designers take advantage of many types of multimedia without having to supply or license the technology required for viewing them.
Some of the disadvantages of using plug-ins are as follows:
- Plus-ins are proprietary technology.
- Plug-ins may take up space in the browser window, limiting space for other elements.
- Not all plug-ins are available for all platforms.
- Most plug-ins have to be installed by the user.
- Some organizations prohibit users from downloading and installing plug-ins.
Developers should carefully consider each use of plug-ins.