||The physical connections among network hardware; include cables, phone lines, and other connection lines.
- Acts as a translator between networks using incompatible communications protocols.
- Connects networks of personal computers to mini-computer- or mainframe-based hosts.
- Interconnects multiple devices in a network.
- Enables distribution of information among connected devices.
- Connects two or more networks.
- Forwards packets and filters traffic, based on protocol-specific software addresses, source and destination port number, and soon.
- More flexible than a bridge, but requires more processing power.
- Connects network segments with high usage percentages.
- Offers higher performance than a bridge or router
- Costs less than a bridge or router
- Helps create virtual LANs
- Bases forwarding decisions on a packet's media access control (AC) destination address